I. Basic Function:
The Jung-Kellogg Learning Center seeks an innovative director to provide vision and leadership in integrating new and existing information technologies, expanding the library’s role in the university community, and oversight of all library operations. The Director of Library Services is responsible for leading, coordinating, and managing all aspects of library resources and services in support of academic programs and the scholarly and intellectual needs of students, faculty, and staff. The Learning Center is an academic department and the Director reports to the Provost/Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Provide visionary leadership to develop and improve library programs and services to align with the university’s strategic plan.
- Prepare, administer, and oversee the library’s budget, with particular emphasis on collection development and evolving technological needs.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, students, and administrative colleagues to strategically assess library services and resources.
- Oversee the investigation, selection, and implementation of new technologies and methods of providing services to advance the university and library missions.
- Recruit, lead, develop, and evaluate professional librarians and support staff in accordance with university policies.
- Administer the development of the library’s collections and explore new methods of selecting, acquiring and organizing resources to support the curriculum in a collaborative partnership with division chairs and faculty.
- Manage the processing and access to electronic resources; serve as the primary contact for all e-resource trials and renewals; facilitate university approval and procurement process for all agreements, subscriptions, contracts and acquisitions.
- Maintain professional development via active participation in professional meetings and workshops in relevant professional organizations and consortia.
- Chair the Library Committee as assigned by the President, and participates in organizational management through other committee assignments.
- Attend university meetings as required including Dean’s Council and Faculty Meetings.
- Oversee daily facility operations within the Jung-Kellogg Learning Center.
The Director of Library Services reports to the Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs for performance. The individual works with division chairs and faculty in the acquisition of library resources.
IV. Performance Measurement Criteria
An annual, all-encompassing and confidential performance evaluation is to be conducted under the authority of the Provost/Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs. The supervisor will provide a self-evaluation form to assist in determining the degree of proficiency of the duties, tasks and responsibilities as delineated in the job description.
V. Required Qualifications:
- ALA accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science (or equivalent).
- Commensurate library leadership experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment of library personnel with a diverse population including faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated understanding of current and future issues in the academic library and in the field of higher education.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the use and/or implementation of appropriate and emerging technologies to provide and enhance library services including knowledge of online research resources, integrated library management systems, and instructional technologies.
- Knowledge of and experience with electronic resources employed by libraries including licensing, utilizing consortium agreements, and direct connections with vendors.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with a demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Ability to plan and execute projects that support the institution’s mission and academic programs.
- Experience with developing and managing departmental budget.
Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants can send inquiries or applications (consisting of cover letter, current resume, and Christian statement of faith) to Dr. Lydia Thebeau, Lydia.Thebeau@mobap.edu