The Library Assistant provides customer service to all library patrons including circulation, acquisition, and technical support. Major duties and responsibilities include: answering phone calls; checking materials in and out; collecting fees; keeping records; sending notices; providing routine technical support as requested; processing inter-library loans; maintaining inventories and supplies; maintaining orderly arrangement of the library collection, shifting and shelf reading.
Typical Essential Duties:
• Provides customer service to include answering phone calls and greeting patrons, responding to routine reference-related inquiries, and referring patrons to librarians for further assistance.
• Checks materials in and out; circulates, reviews and adds requests for, and discharges books and other library materials by utilizing applicable online systems and databases; adds and scans barcodes on library materials.
• Collects fees, prepares and sends out notices, invoices, bills, and work orders, and maintains records; work may involve researching and compiling information.
• Provides routine technical support as requested; work may involve assisting patrons in resolving routine issues and referring the issue to the appropriate department/personnel when needed.
• Processes inter-library loans and student information; work may involve providing patrons information regarding loan policies and procedures.
• Maintains library inventory and supplies, restocks supplies as needed, and ensures that all equipment, such as computers and printers, are in working order.
• Maintains and arranges the library collection, to include following shelving and shelf-reading procedures, and removing damaged materials.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
• This job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
One (1) year library support or related experience.
Minimum Qualification can be substituted with an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Preference will be given to individuals who possess:
• Associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree
• One year full-time, directly related library or office experience
• Evidence of customer service experience, including strong written and verbal communication skills
• Evidence of strong computer skills and experience working with library management systems
• Experience generating reports and statistics
• Evidence of good organizational skills and accuracy in the completion of tasks
• Evidence of the ability to work independently and to exercise good decision-making skills
• Experience working as part of a team
• Experience maintaining customer confidentiality
• Experience working with diverse populations
Normally scheduled Monday through Friday; Afternoon and evening hours are required Monday-Thursday; morning and afternoon hours are needed on Friday. Schedule subject to change based upon department needs.
The annual salary is $32,069. A competitive benefit package is included.
Apply for this Job: