Purpose of the Policy:
Policy Main Content:
The MOBIUS Board of Directors will establish the following four committees.
Charge: Working in conjunction with the MOBIUS staff, this committee will provide input on products, subscriptions, and services that may be of interest to the membership.
User Experience and Metadata Committee
Charge: Working in conjunction with the MOBIUS staff, this committee will provide input into both the user services side of the catalog design and the supportive metadata structure.
Circulation and Courier Committee
Charge: Working in conjunction with the MOBIUS staff, this committee will provide input into the circulation and interlibrary loan functions of the MOBIUS Union Catalog. This can include policies, functionality, and other areas related to the courier system and its ability to move physical materials effectively among MOBIUS Member and partner institutions.
ILS Software and Services Committee
Charge: Working in conjunction with MOBIUS staff, this committee will be responsible for monitoring and researching current ILS library software trends and related product offerings. This committee will engage the membership and make recommendations benefiting the membership regarding product enhancements, service improvements, and new options. This committee will be responsible for engaging and informing the entire MOBIUS membership about a broad range of ILS changes and possibilities. This committee will be responsible for making formal recommendations to the MOBIUS Board for final consideration.
Charge: Working in conjunction with MOBIUS staff, this committee will be responsible for monitoring and researching current digitization and institutional repository (IR) software trends and related product offerings. This committee will identify and apply for any appropriate grants. This committee will engage the membership and make recommendations benefiting the MOBIUS membership regarding product enhancements & service improvements. This committee will be responsible for making formal recommendations to the MOBIUS Board for final consideration.
- Public Library Committee
Charge:Working in conjunction with MOBIUS staff, this committee will engage with and solicit feedback from MOBIUS public library members to promote the unique interests of those members and encourage public library participation in MOBIUS activities and governance.
Each committee should include:
- One Board member
- One MOBIUS Staff member (serving as the committee organizer)
- A minimum of 4 additional members from the broader membership, designated by the Board
- The MOBIUS Executive Director (Ex Officio)
Committee organizational details:
- Under non-profit law in Missouri, a Committee serves “at the pleasure of the Board,” and must include Board representation. Therefore, MOBIUS committees require that each has a least one Board member on its roster, serving as a liaison, providing a direct link to the work going on at the executive level.
- Committees should be made up of at least 4 additional members, each serving for 2 years, with no more than 3 consecutive terms. Committees do not require representation from every cluster. Instead, the Board will draw on expertise, interest, and availability to build the committee membership.
- The MOBIUS staff committee organizer is responsible for organizing the committee’s work, producing agendas, and taking meeting minutes and sharing or maintaining other documentation as required.
- Committee membership begins July 1.
- Committees should meet, either in person or virtually, at least three times per fiscal/academic year.
- A listserv will be established for each committee, open to the full MOBIUS membership; a committee email list will be maintained for business pertaining only to the current committee members.
- Each committee is required to submit an annual report before the June membership meeting and offer a session at the annual conference designed to inform the membership about trends and developments relating to their charge. The Board member serving on the committee, or a designated proxy, will deliver the annual report at the June membership meeting, as well as updates on recent activities at each membership and board meeting.
- If an appointed member of a committee resigns from that committee before the end of the two-year term, the Board may appoint a new member to finish out the term.
- Upon formation, committee members will serve staggered terms to ensure continuity of membership: half the members will be selected for a 1-year term, and half the members for a 2-year term. These staggered terms will continue throughout the duration of the committee as approximately half of the members will rotate off the committee each year. Should a committee’s members’ term expirations become very weighted to one year due to unplanned departures, the Board may adjust terms to ensure staggering.
- Each committee will have a Chair, who will serve for one year, and a Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, who will serve as Vice-Chair the first year of appointment and Chair the following year. In established committees, a Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect will be chosen by the Board from newly selected members. Upon formation of new committees, the Board will select a Chair and Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect from the pool of newly appointed members, and set their terms to ensure that the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect can assume the Chair role in the year after formation.
Board Committees consist of Board members, with the Executive Director serving as Ex Officio. They do not require members from the MOBIUS staff or the wider membership.
- Finance Committee: The Committee consists of the Board Treasurer serving as Chair and at least two additional Board members.
Charge: This committee is responsible for developing and reviewing fiscal procedures, creating an annual budget, ensuring that an external audit is conducted, and recommending appropriate action on services and fees or any other financial matter that the Board of Directors so directs it to address.
Interest Groups and Working Groups
Working groups will be formed by the Board to solve a particular problem or work on a short-term project. Proposed Working Groups might include: Physical Storage WG, Digital Storage WG, Conference Door Prizes WG, etc. The MOBIUS Board of Directors may form or dissolve a Working Group at any time.
Interest Groups may reflect the current interests or needs of the library community and may exist for any length of time, and will provide a shared location to share or find expertise in an areas, to work on common goals, etc. Proposed Interest Groups might include: Instruction IG, Marketing IG, Programming IG, etc. Interest Groups will be provided with a loosely moderated email listserv for communication, maintained by the MOBIUS office. The MOBIUS Board of Directors may form or dissolve an Interest Group at any time.