University of Missouri-St. Louis seeks an experienced, innovative individual to become the Assistant Dean of Libraries. This position reports to the Dean of Libraries. The candidate will possess strong interpersonal and demonstrated managerial skills. The Assistant Dean is responsible for the management and oversight of the day to day activities of the Thomas Jefferson Library. The Assistant Dean of Libraries will develop and execute a vision to further the mission of the Library. S/he is charged with fostering an organizational climate based on respect, service, and teamwork, in which diversity, communication, and innovation thrive while effectively managing and enhancing the Library’s resources.
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
- At least 5 years of experience managing professional librarians and staff in an academic library. The candidate will have a record of demonstrated success in increasingly responsible positions.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus and implement decisions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the preparation of reports, analysis of data, and creation and dissemination of policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in academic librarianship.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, prioritize, and delegate across multiple departments.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues related to managing multiple departments in an academic library.
- Familiarity with library systems including integrated library systems, databases, and emerging technologies.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse community.
- A second Master’s degree.
- Supervise librarians and staff throughout the Thomas Jefferson Library.
- Work closely with the Dean of Libraries to advocate for and promote the needs of the Thomas Jefferson Library.
- Coordinate and support a work environment that allows all employees to actively contribute to the successful operation of the Thomas Jefferson Library for all users.
- Promote and implement library goals.
- Maintain an awareness of and respond appropriately to users issues; consulting with the dean as needed.
- General Reference and Public Service responsibilities (e.g. – shifts at the Public Service Desk, collection development, etc.).
- Oversee library wide committees.
- Some travel and evening/weekend work may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicants must apply online at
http://www.umsl.edu/jobs.html (Choose FACULTY tab to continue)
Attach a resume and cover letter addressing the duties and requirements of the position. Provide contact information, including email addresses, for three professional references.
This position is a 12 month non-tenure track faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience. Applications will be accepted until November 17, 2017. The successful candidate must undergo a criminal background check.
If you have questions regarding this position, please email Clinton Berry, Clinton@umsl.edu
The University of Missouri-St. Louis is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.