The Linux System Administrator works in a team environment to assist in managing all aspects of IT services including Linux servers, telephones, desktop support, web servers, telecommunications, building security, disaster recovery, network storage, printers, firewalls, and wireless networks. As a not-for-profit organization that works with libraries of nearly all sizes and types, it is critical for this position to have a high degree of skill across a broad range of technical areas, be highly adaptable, and be able to identify and implement low-cost but effective solutions. The position requires the ability to work in a close team environment in a small office serving internal and external customers at all skill levels.
Salary Range: $65,000-$70,000
- Provide support and serve as an information resource related to various desktop and peripheral systems, including Linux, Windows and Mac operating systems and application programs.
- Consult with the IT Team and Executive Director to determine all hardware and software needs and allocate funds for the fiscal year.
- Perform in-depth hardware and software troubleshooting and maintenance on Linux, Windows and Mac computers. Plan for and manage application of security updates and image deployment.
- Assist in the management of the VMs and Docker containers on AWS and Google platforms.
- Support local area networks including routers, switches, network storage, servers, network printers, and PCs.
- Manage the installation and management of wireless networks.
- Manage network security including firewalls and VPNs.
- Manage discussion lists and the Mailman application
- Manage the selection, deployment and management of the VOIP telephone system.
- Five years’ experience in Linux systems administration
- Demonstrated ability to quickly plan and implement Linux servers for a variety of purposes, i.e. database server, web/application server, file server (FTP/SCP/NFS/CIFS/SMB)
- Working knowledge of Hyper-V
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot all manner of technical problems
- Working knowledge of DNS records and implementation of DNS systems
- Ability to investigate, troubleshoot, and diagnose network connectivity issues on behalf of remote third parties, working with vendors and customers to identify and communicate possible causes.
- Experience with Git and Github
- Expert experience in coding and supporting HTML, CSS, and other basic syntax
- Substantial knowledge of server side and browser scripting
- Functional knowledge of Windows Active Directory, LDAP, log analysis applications
- Technical expertise in the use of SQL compliant database platforms, web servers, and environments, esp MySQL and Postgres
- Working knowledge of web-based solutions including data driven websites/portals, web services, content management systems (CMS), contact relationship management (CRM), e-commerce (ECOM)
- Strong understanding of network security including firewalls (iptables, ipfilter) and VPNs (OpenVPN)
- Experience planning and implementing availability monitoring tools (Zabbix, CloudWatch)
- Experience deploying and managing issue/ticket tracking systems (Request Tracker)
- Experience administering Google Apps for domains
- Experience managing call distribution systems
- Experience implementing, integrating, and contributing to Open Source Software (OSS) projects.
- Strong knowledge of Drupal
- Understanding of User Interface design principles of good usability
- Strong understanding of relevant web standards, such as those produced by the W3C
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills—sufficient to effectively elicit IT information from users, train users in technical procedures/design, and document IT related procedures
- Requires proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Requires strong communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to work under pressure; meet inflexible deadlines; deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure
- Strong customer service skills
About MOBIUS & Columbia
MOBIUS is a nonprofit 501(C)(3) corporation based in Columbia, MO which provides integrated library services to its 76 member libraries in Missouri and the surrounding Midwest. We predominately serve academic libraries. We also host and manage open-source library systems (Evergreen) using both Amazon Web Services and the Google Cloud Platform.
Columbia is a college town and home to the University of Missouri, Columbia College, and Stephens College. Columbia is recognized as one of the top mid-sized cities to live in. We are a friendly and welcoming community with a thriving downtown, affordable living, and an abundance of cultural opportunities. We are located in mid-Missouri and are within easy driving distance to St. Louis and Kansas City.
Please fill out all required information and submit a resume and cover letter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Any questions can be directed to Donna Bacon at email@example.com or 573-268-1845