

Mobius Collection Development Task Force meeting-November 26

Opening of Meeting:

Anne Barker: Greetings, All. My watch says 3:00. Are we all here?

Genie McKee: yes

Patricia Gregory: Yes, hello.

Mary Heady: Greetings, Anne! I am here and in the chat.

Gary Harris: I'm here.

Becky Kiel: Becky Kiel here

Ed Buis: Ed Buis is here

Tesuk Im: it's 3:09 and I am on.

Craig Kubic: I am here from Washington DC

Robert Frizzell: Do we have a quorum yet?

Anne Barker: Yup, but we're missing our co-chair. Let's wait 60 more seconds. Thanks for your patience.

Craig Kubic: FYI my connection is touch and go. I may leave and return as my connection is a dial up from a hotel line.

Tesuk Im: Are we waiting or?

Katrina Blau: It looks like things are well underway. Tesuk, if you're not seeing anything new, try reentering the Discussion Board. Then, replying to the new threads...and once back at the Discussion board you can right click for a menu and select refresh.

Anne Barker: Welcome, all. I'll go ahead at this point. I'll open a new thread for each agenda item. To signal moving on to a new point I'll send a message with "closing" in the subject line to indicate last call for comments on that item.

First Agenda item: Approval of minutes

Anne Barker: Any objections or revisions to the minutes from Oct. 25?

Gary Harris: I move to approve.

Anne Barker: Second?

Mary Heady: I second motion to approve minutes.

Approval by Becky Kiel, Patricia Gregory, Tesuk Im, and Craig Kubic.

Anne Barker: Last call for revisions

Second Agenda Item: Approval of Agenda for this meeting

Anne Barker: Any changes to the agenda for this meeting? Everyone have a copy as sent by Ann Riley earlier this week?

Patricia Gregory, Gary Harris, Mary Heady, and Tesuk Im approve.

Anne Barker: We'll proceed according to this agenda.

Third Agenda Item: Anne Barker welcomed Genie McKee.

Fourth Agenda Item: Management issues

Anne Barker: Per Ann Riley's earlier message, the due date for our first phase report has been moved back to March 15. Any comments on the remarks received from the exec. council explaining what they mean by "management issues"? Anyone need a copy of said remarks?

Becky Kiel: I like the 5th mgt issue: clarity about the goals and responsibilities of the task force. The rest of them, communication, financial incentive, measure performance in terms of access, etc seem essential.

Ed Buis: It will still be confusing as any agreements between libraries - will indeed be approved by the higher administration, especially if dollars are involved.

Robert Frizzell: There are all sorts of problems of gaining acceptance and then trying to implement any agreement we might devise. But it seems to me that before we worry too much about those issues, we should come up with a plan for cooperative collection development. It might be easier to get ascent to a particular plan than a general agreement among so many libraries.

Anne Barker: Before we get too lost in details, my understanding is that our initial charge is to simply IDENTIFY management issues that would need to be addressed in the implementation plan. In our second phase we can get more into the nitty-gritty of how these various issues might be addressed, no doubt drawing on how they have been addressed by others. Does this sound right?

Tesuk Im: I do agree with Bob that we should come up with a plan re: Coop Mgt plan.

Anne Barker: Let me make sure I understand what you mean by a plan.

Do you mean a plan for a specific cooperative project or projects? Or a plan for a structure/committee, whatever that will facilitate on-going planning? I'm thinking that our charge is to get the structure set up with guiding principles, etc. in order to get the ball rolling toward more specific project plans, but maybe I'm in my own little world...

Tesuk Im: I think that we need a plan for a coop. collection dev. project involving 50+ institutions.

Robert Frizzell: Well, I had in mind a plan for a specific cooperative project. But we do have to agree on some guiding principles before we can develop any specific cooperative project.

Perhaps we could work on this and at the same time work on a committee structure (beyond the present committee) to facilitate on-going planning.

But I do not see the directors (and their provosts or deans) committing themselves to specific budget requirements without some concrete examples of what such machinery might produce.

Genie McKee: Since I come from a large cluster, I think it would make sense to bring like institutions together. In Bridges we have quite a few seminaries. Libraries could be grouped by type of institution and size.

Anne Barker: How to proceed?

1. I've outlined some management issues below. I think the management issues we discussed at our last meeting would all fit in these categories. Would anyone like to add any general categories or specific management issues to this outline?

III. Management issues that determine general implementation plan

a. Who makes decisions and how?

i. Make up and role of collection development committee

ii. Role of MCO

iii. Role of clusters

iv. Final decisions/financial commitments by directors?

b. What financial commitment is required?

i. Materials, staff, time, travel, space all involve cost

ii. War chest and/or pay to play?

iii. How to address differences in financial means?

iv. How to address differences in investment/cost--e.g. costs of net-lending?

c. What education/promotion is needed and how is it provided--for administration, staff, legislature, library users?

d. Are there legal restrictions or other obligations that affect cooperative efforts? (E.g. MOBIUS doesn't compete with MORENet.)

e. What happens if consortial commitments are dissolved?

f. How do we measure the costs/benefits of cooperative activities?

IV. Management issues that apply to more specific cooperative projects

a. Joint purchases of online resources

b. "Last copy" retention plans

c. shared storage facilities

d. rotating collections

e. complementary collection profiles

Becky Kiel: Anne, I see 2 major headings:

III. Management issues that determine general implementation plan

IV. Management issues that apply to more specific cooperative projects.

Correct?

Anne Barker: Correct. The exec. committee's comments seemed to be looking both at the general decision-making structure that facilitates planning and at very specific issues such as shared storage. I'm thinking it might be constructive to do more looking both generally and specifically. This is part of a rough potential outline for our report which contains earlier sections.

Mary Heady: So, we are looking at how to establish cooperative projects first. Then, looking at the possible projects themselves. For example, will the projects be based on shared subjects or shared location (clusters)?

Anne Barker: I'm thinking a bit more generally than that. For example, one management issue is how are decisions made when collaborating. Is there a representative committee for the whole consortium? How are members chosen? What does this committee do? Do they coordinate, advise, solicit funds? What is MCO's role? What do the clusters do? Does each cluster have a committee that takes input from the members? Do members initiate projects and submit them to a committee for approval?

Patricia Gregory: Yes, most committees are always recommending, so your items sound good.

Becky Kiel: It looks like a good plan to me. You have 6 headings under Mgt Issues - Gen

Implementation:

who makes decisions

financial commitment

education/promotion

legal restrictions

what if consortial commitments are dissolved

measuring cost/benefits.

If we tackle each of these, I think we'll be well on our way to coming up with a plan. If anything is missing, we may find that in the process and add it then

Anne Barker: Ann (Riley), since you've spoken directly with Laura Rein, can you give any more clarification on our charge?

Anne Barker: It sounds like we may still have some diverging ideas on our charge/goals, so I'd propose tabling this discussion for the moment if no one objects.

To summarize, I think our ultimate goal is to get one or more cooperative projects going, but we probably need to establish a structure for initiating, supporting, and evaluating such projects. Certainly our report should have concrete illustrative examples.

If I hear no objections, we'll table this for the moment, move on to other agenda items, and continue this discussion on the listserv. Do I have a second?

Robert Frizzell: I second.

Anne Barker: Not hearing any objections, I'm closing this item. On to the next....

Agenda Item 5: E-reserves

Anne Barker: Earlier this week I sent a message about the E-Res page I've set up for the task force.

Any questions about this?

Anne Barker: Not hearing any questions, we'll move on. If you have questions, can't get into the page, or have things you'd like posted, please contact me at barkera@missouri.edu

Patricia Gregory: Thanks for setting that up.

Agenda item six: possible report

Anne Barker: Here is the entire outline that I roughed out earlier today. It might give us a skeleton to work from and we can certainly add more concrete details such as recommended projects, etc.

Comments? Additions?

Potential outline

- I. Purpose/goals of cooperative collection development
- II. Guiding principles/core values
- III. Management issues that determine general implementation plan
 - a. Who makes decisions and how?
 - i. Make up and role of collection development committee
 - ii. Role of MCO
 - iii. Role of clusters
 - iv. Final decisions/financial commitments by directors?
 - b. What financial commitment is required?
 - i. Materials, staff, time, travel, space all involve cost
 - ii. War chest and/or pay to play?
 - iii. How to address differences in financial means?
 - iv. How to address differences in investment/cost--e.g. costs of net-lending?
 - c. What education/promotion is needed and how is it provided--for administration, staff, legislature, library users?
 - d. Are there legal restrictions or other obligations that affect cooperative efforts? (E.g. MOBIUS doesn't compete with MORENet.)
 - e. What happens if consortial commitments are dissolved?
 - f. How do we measure the costs/benefits of cooperative activities?
- IV. Management issues that apply to more specific cooperative projects
 - a. Joint purchases of online resources
 - b. "Last copy" retention plans
 - c. shared storage facilities
 - d. rotating collections
 - e. complementary collection profiles

Becky Kiel: Today - I don't see additions or changes to make in the outline. Do we want to take certain parts of it to follow up on and flesh out?

Anne Barker: I think we could work on fleshing out each one of these items, but I'm concerned that so few members are appearing on the discussion board. I think if we tackle the fleshing-out via the listserv people may have an easier time participating.

Anne Barker: Last call for comments on this for now. If no one objects, I'd like to propose that we run this outline by the exec. committee to see if we're on the same page with them. If so, I think we can work on fleshing this out via the listserv. Do I have a second?

Patricia Gregory: Second.

Anne Barker: Item 6 is closed, to be revisited at a later date.

Agenda Item 7: Next meeting

Anne Barker: At our last meeting, we tentatively scheduled a virtual meeting for sometime in mid-January. I think it would be good if we could block out a day and time before we're all committed to other things. Can we agree on a day/time in the week of Jan. 12?

Ed Buis: I can't make it on Thursday or Friday of that week
(Jan 16 and 17)

Patricia Gregory: How about Tues. or Wed. at 10:00?

Genie McKee: There is an Executive Committee Meeting on the Friday. I could do Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon.

Anne Barker: Let me rephrase. Does anyone object to a virtual meeting on Jan. 15 3:00-5:00?

Patricia Gregory: That's fine

Ed Buis: Sounds good

Genie McKee: That will work OK for me.

Tesuk Im: Sounds good.

Becky Kiel: OK

Robert Frizzell: I am open except 1-3pm on the 15th.

Becky Kiel: Fridays are not my best day for a meeting. The 3:00 time frame seems okay. How does 3:00 on Jan. 13, 14, 15 or 16 sound?

Tesuk Im: 3:00 pm- , Jan 14-16 seem okay for me.

Katrina Blau: Please forgive my insertion, but I'd like to go ahead and offer the services of this institution again... We do, I think, have the chat issues resolved. So next time, if you'd like we probably could go ahead and use the Tutornet chat function of blackboard. And, despite the sensation of lag, this meeting on the discussion board actually went at a pretty good clip. It's just harder to see the "instant" reaction of folks. If you choose to do that I'll just leave your current usernames and passwords as is without deleting them.

Patricia Gregory: Chat is soooo much better for these meetings.

Mary Heady: I believe that the chat feature is functioning at present. Would anyone like to try this out?

Katrina Blau: I am currently on both the chat and the discussion board...

Anne Barker: I don't think I'm hearing any objections to Jan. 15 at 3:00, so let's plan on that and I'll

check with others who don't seem to be with us.

Thanks to Katrina and Mary for hosting. I think we need to hear from those who don't seem to be here to see if they had trouble connecting before we settle on the venue. There also seemed to be interest in a video conference option. Who does NOT have access to this option?

Katrina Blau: Despite the fact that we **should** have teleconferencing availability here, it is currently not as functional as we would like it to be. Not advisable from the Lincoln side of things at this point...

Mary Heady: I am close to Linn, if we needed to drive a short distance to be able to share resources. Would this work?

Tesuk Im: Linn State has a Polycom and willing to host.

Patricia Gregory: I don't have videoconferencing.

Becky Kiel: I have access to video conference at the Nevada TeleCenter, a short drive from the Cottey campus.

Anne Barker: I'm concerned that not all task force members seem to be with us, so will close this item. Please remember that we have a meeting scheduled at MCO on Feb. 7, although the time is not set. I think we may also want to schedule a rain-check for that meeting in case of snow. We'll take this up on the listserv after Thanksgiving.

Since we're all still here, let's give chat a try to see if we can all get in. In case you don't make the connection, thanks for being here! And for your patience with my first attempt at moderating online.

Discussion in chat after meeting

Katrina Blau > Perhaps next time we should try with the chat. It seems earlier problems had to do with a port availability and that was solved just prior to the meeting...

Mary Heady has entered. [04:27:39 PM]

Katrina Blau > Hey Mary!

Katrina Blau > I'm here. I don't know if anyone else is...

Becky Kiel has entered. [04:28:48 PM]

Katrina Blau > Let them know that I'm willing to also pursue other chat formats if they would prefer

Katrina Blau > Welcome Becky.

Anne Barker has entered. [04:29:30 PM]

Katrina Blau > Welcome Anne

Katrina Blau > Can you two see me?

Anne Barker > Hello, are we all here?

Mary Heady > hello.

Katrina Blau > Hi. :)

Patricia Gregory has entered. [04:30:48 PM]

Katrina Blau > Welcome Patricia

Patricia Gregory > Hello

Becky Kiel has entered. [04:31:26 PM]

Katrina Blau > Welcome Becky.

Katrina Blau > :)

Becky Kiel > I found it too

Anne Barker > Any one else? I'm wondering if I have a faster connection than some and am cutting people off by accident....

Katrina Blau > Well, we should have plenty of port speed. And it may be a case of the others need to let the applet completely load before attempting to type... maybe.

Mary Heady > I believe that Gary Harris and Ed Buis were here earlier.

Katrina Blau > I'll try and explore what our options are.

Katrina Blau > Yes, they were.

Mary Heady > Also, Craig Kubic and Tesuk Im.

Genie McKee has entered. [04:33:47 PM]

Katrina Blau > Also, I'd be willing to create mock accounts on AIM if the chat function is really preferred... they have a pretty good chat environment and it can be saved into an html file.

Katrina Blau > That way, if for some reason this chat fails to operate, there would be another option besides the discussion board...

Mary Heady > Does AIM require special hardware?

Katrina Blau > No hardware, just software.

Becky Kiel > Does it require anything on this end?

Katrina Blau > www.aol.com has a connection to their AIM software, which is pretty ubiquitous. It would require an internet connection of some sort. But AIM works with pretty much any server.

Katrina Blau > Just the creation of a username /password... but I'd be willing to do the "footwork" on that if folks don't have time. I'd just need email addresses and a preferred username...

Mary Heady > Could we use the names already available, Katrina?

Anne Barker > I'm afraid I need to sign off and pack up before I get locked in the building. Katrina and Mary, thanks to you both for helping us get online. We'll be in touch about future meetings. Mary, how do we get a copy of the transcript of our discussion board activity?

Katrina Blau > Well, if you already have an AOL account or an AIM account you could use what you have. OR I could use the usernames we've created if you preferred...

Becky Kiel > I'm signing off too. Thanks everyone!

Becky Kiel has left. [04:37:02 PM]

Genie McKee has left. [04:37:16 PM]

Katrina Blau > You should be able to log on...and access the discussion via the archives... I can leave the discussion "live" for a bit too...

Patricia Gregory > Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary Heady > Also, a quick suggestion that we might do a trial run, also.

Katrina Blau > Happy thanksgiving!

Katrina Blau > :nods.

Katrina Blau > I think that would be a good thing.

Mary Heady > I am also willing to do some cutting and pasting to make a more fluid transcript.

Katrina Blau > *nods* Yes. And there will be an archive of this discussion too.

Katrina Blau > I'll just need to know ahead of time if you want me to create aim accounts...

Becky Kiel has left. [04:39:08 PM]

Becky Kiel has left. [04:39:08 PM]

Mary Heady > I will also need to be leaving soon. Happy Thanksgiving!

Mary Heady > Please let us know if anyone would like to try a trial run for the next meeting.

Patricia Gregory has left. [04:40:17 PM]

Anne Barker has left. [04:41:08 PM]

Anne Barker has left. [04:41:08 PM]

Katrina Blau > happy thanksgiving all

Katrina Blau > I think it's just you and me now Mary so I'm going to go ahead and log off. :)

Katrina Blau has left. [04:42:13 PM]

Patricia Gregory has left. [04:42:23 PM]

Mary Heady has left. [04:44:36 PM]

Robert Frizzell has entered. [04:48:19 PM]

Robert Frizzell has left. [04:49:54 PM]

Robert Frizzell has entered. [04:51:08 PM]

Robert Frizzell has left. [04:51:11 PM]

